TexStyle

Adventures in Textile Arts by kate kline

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Pigs and Other Animal Neighbors



Because we are living on the edge of San Miguel de Allende, some of the neighboring households raise pigs and chickens. Just below us on the hill is a sow and her 6 piglets, which my dogs have startled on their morning walk. Most endearing, though, is the solo black pig who wanders a large area around here. Lately he/she has been sleeping in the vacant lot across the street. I tried calling to him with a friendly midwestern "sooo-eee" but only frightened him senseless. He bolted and ran with the dogs in hot pursuit. All ended well with the pig escaping.

Then there are the roosters below us that start crowing at 2:30 a.m. It's like living with a cuckoo clock - you get used to it and no longer hear it.

We have plenty of neighborhood dogs, all of whom defend their own territory. No dog fights yet and my dogs have been very well behaved in that respect. Downstairs we have Rooney, a Pyranese Mountain Dog who is just a pup and big as a pony. Very friendly and playful.

I've started walking in the hills with the dogs, now that I have some earphones for my iPod and hope to encounter more wildlife -safely, I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home